Happy Birthday jIIr

Saturday, August 6, 2011 Posted by Corey Harrell
It’s hard to believe a year has gone by since I launched my blog. I didn’t know what to expect when I took an idea and put it into action. All I knew was I wanted to talk about investigating security incidents but at the time I didn’t have the IR skillset. I also wanted to provide useful content but I was short on personal time to research, test, and write. I went ahead anyway despite the reasons discouraging me from blogging.

The experience has been rewarding. I’m a better writer from explaining various topics in a way that others can learn from my successes and failures. I have a better understanding about DFIR from the feedback I received. The feedback also helps to validate what 'm thinking and doing. Different opportunities arose -such as talking with other forensicators- as a direct result of my willingness to share information.

The top six posts of the year covered a range of topics from detecting security incidents to examining an infected system to a book review. The most read posts of the year were:

     1.  Google the Security Incident Detector
     2.  Introducing the Digital Forensics Search
     3.  Reviewing Timelines with Excel
     4.  Review of Digital Forensics with Open Source Tools
     5.  Smile for the Camera
     6.  Anatomy of a Drive-by Part 2

I’m looking forward to another year and there is a range of ideas in the hopper. I’ll still touch on investigating security incidents as well as researching attack vector artifacts. However, my focus will gradually extend from the artifacts on a single system to the artifacts located on different network devices. Besides IR, I’m planning on talking about supporting financial investigations, Windows 7 (and Server 2008) artifacts, my methodology, different information security topics, and random DFIR thoughts inspired by things I come across along the way.

Thanks to everyone who keeps stopping by jIIr. There’s no need to be a stranger when there’s a comment feature to let me know what you think. ;) A special thank you to all of the other bloggers and authors who link to my blog and share their thoughts about my posts. I'm thankful for the additional traffic you send my way since it helps to let others know about the blog.
Labels:
  1. Hey Corey, Thanks for the summary. We'll glad you went ahead with the blog cuz we're better for it too!

    I've done a couple of these summary posts (posts most popular, got most comments, etc.), but I found they were not read very much and few people clicked the links. I'd be interested if you'd share what kind of feedback you get on this post, either as a comment or email me.

    I haven't done one in a while, but I'm thinking of doing it again. It gives me a signpost to measure things by even if few read it.

    I'll check out some of these posts. Thanks again for all your hard work.

  2. itauditsecurity,

    Thanks for the kind words about my blogging. I saw little activitymwith this post (compared to my other posts) similiar to what you described. I'll probably do an summary to wrap up the previous year. It helps me to see what content people like and what content didn't work.

    The gadget on my blog highlighting the most read posts does a better job than a summary post (your blog has one as well). I don't have stats on how many people click it but it's seems to generate traffic to those posts.

Post a Comment