Digital Forensics Meets Forensic Auditing

Monday, March 5, 2012 Posted by Corey Harrell
One of my employer’s responsibilities is to ensure taxpayers’ dollars are used “effectively and efficiently”. To accomplish this there are numerous auditing and investigation departments in my organization. As one might expect I encounter a significant portion of fraud cases; from fraud audits to fraud investigations to a combination of the two. At times I get mandated have the opportunity to attend in-house trainings intended for auditors. Last week was an opportunity to attend Forensic Analytics: Methods and Techniques for Forensic Accounting Investigations by Mark Nigrini. The training covered the use of "statistical techniques such as Benford's Law, descriptive statistics, correlation, and time-series analysis to detect fraud and errors" in financial data. I try to keep an open mind with each training so I can at least identify anything to help me in information security or Digital Forensics and Incident Response (DFIR). Forensic Analytics was an interesting training and I wanted to briefly discuss a better understanding I have about the field I assist.

What is Digital Forensics and Forensic Auditing

Anyone who is involved with DFIR understands what our field entails. We perform digital forensic investigations which is “a process to answer questions about digital states and events that is completed in a manner so the results can be entered into a court of law”. There are numerous reasons to why digital forensics is performed including supporting:: criminal investigations, internal investigations, incident response, and forensic auditing. The original purpose for digital forensics in my organization was to help support the forensic auditing function in the auditing departments. Despite having forensics in both their names, Forensic Auditing is a completely different field. It is “an examination of an organization's or individual's economic affairs, resulting in a report designed especially for use in a court of law”. Forensic audits are used whenever someone needs reliable data on an entity's financial status or activities. These types of audits can not only detect errors in financial data but the audits can also detect fraudulent activities.

Digital forensics and forensic auditing both involve extensive data analysis but the examinations between the two are drastically different. The data examined in digital forensics can best be explained by Locard’s Exchange Principle. The principle states that when two objects come into contact there is a transfer between those objects. In the digital realm that transfer is data and digital forensics analyzes that data. Whether we are trying to determine what a person or program did on a computer we are trying to understand the data left on a computer after the person/program came into contact with it. The analysis process to understand the data uses the scientific method.

Forensic auditing deals with datasets for specific periods of time. A few examples of potential datasets are: invoices, payroll, receipts, and timesheets. Forensic auditing uses predictive analytics to detect fraud and errors in the data. Predictive analytics encompasses a variety of statistical techniques that analyzes data to find anomalies. One example is Benford’s Law which says in a list of data the first digit is distributed in a specific way. This means a dataset could be tested to see what records don’t apply to the law. The picture shows data conforming to Benford’s law and if there were numerous fraudulent records then there could be more spikes in the data (more first digits with 6, 7, 8 or 9 and less 1 and 2).

Benford’s Law is just one statistical technique leveraged in forensic auditing but the basic examination process is to start with a dataset then run different tests to identify anomalies. As I said before, this is drastically different then digital forensics where the data is observed first and tests are run to disprove your theories.

I thought an analogy would be a good way to sum up the differences between Digital Forensics and Forensic Auditing. An office has a cabinet in the corner of the room which is filled with invoices for the previous five years. A forensic auditor would take those invoices and then analyze them to find any fraudulent activities. A digital forensic examiner would take those same invoices and tell the auditor everything about the paper the invoices are on, who created the invoices, information about how the cabinet got into the room, who may have accessed the cabinet, who was talking about the invoices, and identify other things in the office tied to the cabinet. The analogy does a fairly decent job reflecting how the two different fields can complement each other to provide a more complete understanding about the invoices in the cabinet.

Understanding My Customers (and co-workers)

I went into the Forensic Analytics training hoping for two things; find a few techniques that I could apply to my DFIR work and to get a better understanding about who I provide digital forensic assistance to. The techniques and tests discussed for the most part did not translate over to my DFIR work but I did get a better understanding about who my customers are and how I can provide a better digital forensic service to them. Thinking back over the past few years I can now see I wasn’t asking the right questions because I never put myself in my customers’ shoes.

A typical statement I heard on fraud cases when I asked for additional information was the phrase “I’ll know it when I see it”. I thought maybe it was just me until I was talking to someone at PFIC last year who also supports financial investigators. He said people say the same phrase to him as well. I never completely understood what the phrase meant. In digital forensics if I was to describe something I try to put it into context. Look for artifact X and around X you may see Y and Z. I might also mention a few other artifacts to look for as well. I wouldn’t describe something by saying “I’ll know it when I see it”. Fraud auditing uses predictive analysis to see patterns in data. Tests are run against datasets to identify anomalies which are data points that fall outside the expected pattern. Those data points are possible indications of errors or fraud. When running the tests against the datasets in training I was asking myself what would fraud/errors look like and the answer to my question was “I’ll know it when I see it”.

The training gave me a better understanding about my customers (some are actually my co-workers but it’s easier to group everyone together) and the techniques they use to do their job in finding fraud. Going forward I have a better idea about how to phrase my questions so I can get more actionable information.

Preparing for the Future

I went into the training looking forward to learning about the different types of frauds, how they are detected, and spending a few days in the shoes of the people who send me the most work. I’ll admit there were a lot of times when I got distracted in the training. When a certain type of fraud was discussed my mind would start wandering about how I would approach an examination to validate if the fraud was occurring. Instead of paying attention to how to use excel to perform a statistically test against some financial data I found myself reflecting on: what are the different ways to commit this kind of fraud? What potential artifacts might exist on a network and where? What questions should I ask? What data sources should I be interested in? My wandering was more of a thought exercise about how to process different types of frauds so I am better prepared for what the auditing and investigations departments throw my way next.

Previously, I said the techniques and tests discussed mostly didn’t apply to disk analysis. I said mostly because the predictive analysis portion of the training helped me figure out the final piece to a technique I’ve been working on. The technique is a way to quickly identify potential fraudulent documents. This is a technique I could leverage tomorrow when faced with certain kinds of fraud. It could help reduce the amount of documents to focus on which in turn will enable me to provide information to the auditors/investigators faster. I also envision the technique not only being used by other digital forensic practitioners but fraud auditors and investigators can use it as well to detect potential frauds. I’m hoping to have a paper complete sometime before summer.

Gaining a better understanding about the people who bring me the most work and preparing myself to face what those people have in store for me tomorrow wasn’t a bad way to spend two days afterall.
Labels:
  1. Corey,

    This is an excellent post, pointing out one of the really important factors of what we do...that in most cases, we're doing it for someone else. As such, our thought processes and notes may not make much sense to them, and it's our job to translate what we did into something that they can use. Not many folks really understand that.

  2. When I first started in IT I didn't get that our sole purpose was to provide services to the rest of the organization. I just thought we were doing some cool stuff and people (business side) had to adjust to us. I learned the error in my thinking and focusing on who I am doing work for has stuck with me every since. It even carried over to the way I approach digital forensics.

Post a Comment